I’ve met Giouli Katsimbardi several times at exhibitions, events and behind the bar of “The 7 Jokers Bar” where she works the last years, but without being given the opportunity to talk. I decided to get to know her better for the sake of the Profile column.
Born in Corinth, a child of the 90’s, Giouli has been working in the bar industry for several years, having passed through all the positions. A graduate of Bar Academy, since 2014 she is behind the bars, while in 2018 she won the first place in the “Chairman’s Mai Tai Challenge” for Greece and the third in the world, deservedly winning the title of “Queen of Mai Tai” by her colleagues. Let’s get to know her better.
- Since when have you been working in bars?
The last 7 years
- How did you decide to involve with bartending?
I really like making drinks for people
- What makes your job exciting?
Sociability, hospitality and creativity
- Do you prefer a Hotel Bar or a Bar?
- City or island?
- Greece or abroad?
My favorite Greece!
- What’s your favorite spirit, ingredient and cocktail?
Rum, lime, Daiquiri
- Which is your favourite beer?
- Do you have a favorite technique or tool?
Shake and pincers!
- Favorite travel destination?
All the Caribbean islands!
- Is the customer, always right?
Of course not!
- What’s the level of bartending in Greece today?
The level is very high now! We have nothing to envy from any other country and I believe that our bars and professionals can stand anywhere
- Are you reading about the industry?
I am often updated by magazines and sites. This period I am reading, again, about tiki culture
- What does it mean or what it should mean “I won in a bartending competition”?
Certainly awareness and new projects. Do not rest
- In a festival/bartending exhibition you would go for a walk, for the trip, for networking or education?
One of the most beautiful things about this job is networking with people in the industry around the world. Of course the information
- What or who would we say that is inspiring you at your job?
Clearly my adoration for it
- What are the elements, the ideal bartender should have?
Appetite for work, kindness, humility
- Seminar or Tasting/Pairing;
- Bartender or Brand Ambassador;
- Where would you take us for a drink?
Kouchico on my favorite Syros
- You drink your beer….?
With an incredible appetite!
The 7 Jockers, 7 Voulis str., Athens
First publication: Beer & Bar Magazine, issue 11