Nikos Sourbatis is the kind of person that once you meet him will win you over with his smile and courtesy. He loves tequila, mescal and Mexican culture. When not travelling to gain as much knowledge as possible about spirits you’ll find him serving drinks behind the bar of “The Clumsies” downtown Athens. Social, creative, full of energy and hardworking has all the parchment to go high with whatever she decides to tackle.
- Since when have you been working in bars?
- How did you decide to involve with bartending?
Because is the best industry for a social person like myself.
- What makes your job exciting?
Meeting with colleagues and people from different cultures and with different tastes.
- Do you prefer a Hotel Bar or a Bar?
Bar, hotel bars are not my style.
- City or island?
Town, it has more choices.
- Greece or abroad?
If not Greece then the only choice is New York!
- What’s your favorite spirit, ingredient and cocktail?
Mezcal, beetroot, Paloma
- Which is your favourite beer?
Beers from Mexico like Modelo, XX.
- Do you have a favorite technique or tool?
Shaker, bar spoon.
- Favorite travel destination?
Oaxaca and Νέα Υόρκη.
- Is the customer, always right?
Only if we decide to.
- What’s the level of bartending in Greece today?
We are high, but always our top should be above that!
- Are you reading about the industry?
Beer & Bar Magazine, Difford’s Guide, Holy Smoke, Under The Volcano, Liquid Intelligence.
- What does it mean or what it should mean “I won in a bartending competition”?
Nothing, you are not being judged if you are good only from a competition, the public will judge you during every shift.
- In a festival/bartending exhibition you would go for a walk, for the trip, for networking or education?
Networking, job, for fun.
- What or who would we say that is inspiring you at your job?
Οι My colleagues in the bar I work and anything that interests me in the industry me such as new trends and tools.
- What are the elements, the ideal bartender should have?
Smile, patience, knowladge, will.
- Seminar or Tasting/Pairing?
Tasting. You have a better understand of the prospects of each product.
- Bartender or Brand Ambassador?
Bartender above all!
- Where would you take us for a drink?
Dante (Νew York).
- You drink your beer….?
Fast to keep it cold…!
30 Praxitelous Str, Athens